When it comes to their phones, it seems Aussies are prone to ‘drop it like it’s hot’. Research by tech21, the leader in impact protection for mobile devices, found the average citizen of down under drops their device 99 times a year.
It appears Aussies are very worried about it too. When asked to rank their biggest concerns, Aussies said dropping a new phone on a hard surface was second only to catching the flu. Surprisingly, it even ranked higher than climate change/global warming.
The research also reads as a word of caution for would-be owners of new smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy Note8. In fact, one in three (34%) Australians admit to cracking their phone in the first six months of buying it.
For clumsy Aussies, Monday mornings in December are a particularly dangerous time. ‘Tis the season to be jolly, but also the period voted most likely for phones to take a tumble – work Christmas parties and last-minute trolley dashes could well be to blame. ‘Being in a rush’ was the most common reason (29%) with ‘I’m clumsy’ the second most common (21%).
“From the office to the home, we’re using smartphones now more than ever. Despite this, it is still surprising how often Australians are dropping their devices,” said Colin Woodward, Chief Marketing Officer at tech21.
The number of Australians persisting with cracked phones for extended periods of time is also shocking. Nearly a third (29%) of Australians have kept their damaged device for more than a year before replacing it.
“We want Australians to forgo the anxiety we all feel when a mobile takes a tumble. That’s why tech21 products feature the most advanced impact protection materials on the planet and are designed and tested to protect your device not just once, but drop after drop. By choosing a tech21 product you’re able to drop more and care less.”
Other tech21 research findings:
· Two thirds of Aussies (67%) drop their phone once a week
· 40% of the population currently has a cracked, dented or scratched phone
· 70% of Australians have dropped and cracked a phone at some point during their lifetime
· 30% of people have dropped a phone on their face while lying down
· Millennials are twice as likely to drop their phone while taking a selfie
· Of the list provided, people ranked their biggest concerns as the following:
1. Catching the flu
2. Dropping a new phone on a hard surface
3. Seeing your friend trip in the street
4. Climate Change/Global Warming
5. Dropping your pizza
6. Not getting enough likes on your Instagram post
The research was conducted by tech21 to celebrate the launch of their Samsung Galaxy Note8 range. The new collection of cases is made of unique, patented impact protection materials that guarantee the most effective drop protection on the market.
The new range of Samsung Galaxy Note8 cases and screen shields includes:
Cases to match all personalities
· Evo Check – More Than Skin Deep. There’s more to Evo Check than meets the eye. This case adds a subtle detail to the Galaxy Note8’s original beauty. But sitting beneath its unique check pattern design is an effective three-layer protection system which includes FlexShock™, an impact material unique to tech21 that provides up to three metres of drop protection. Evo Check comes in in Smokey/Black and Clear/White. Available at tech21.com as well as Telstra, Vodafone, Optus, and Virgin stores. RRP $54.95.
· Evo Tactical – Raw, Tactile Feel. Designed to endure the busy day ahead while complimenting the Galaxy Note8’s premium design, Evo Tactical combines durable materials with refined, contrasting textures. The case comes equipped with a three-layer protection system that includes FlexShock™, and offers drop protection up to three metres. The Evo Tactical case comes in black. Available at tech21.com. RRP $54.95.
· Evo Wallet – Access Everything. Comfortably. With busy lifestyles we want quick and easy access to the things we use most throughout the day – our phone and our cards. The Evo Wallet features two concealed card slots in its folio cover, where cards are kept secure and easily accessible. With FlexShock™, the case also provides up to three metres of drop protection. The Evo Wallet case comes in black. Available at tech21.com as well as Optus and Telstra stores. RRP $74.99.
· Pure Clear – Protect. Reveal. The Galaxy Note8 is beautifully designed, and a case should enhance this design. Using new materials and cutting edge technology, Pure Clear is significantly more transparent than any other clear case. Featuring BulletShield™, it’s also 50% thinner and 50% lighter than the market leader and provides up to two metres of drop protection. Available at tech21.com as well as JB Hi-Fi, Optus, and Telstra stores. RRP $54.95.
Market leading screen protection
· Impact Shield with Anti-Scratch – Advanced protection. Enduring clarity. Designed to work perfectly with the subtle curves of your screen while the strong, lasting adhesive holds it in place from edge to edge, Impact Shield Anti-Scratch has a hard, durable coating which keeps your screen smooth and crystal clear for longer than ever. It also comes equipped with BulletShield™ to absorb impact force and eliminate the fear of damaging your screen. Available at tech21.com as well as JB Hi-Fi, Telstra, and Optus stores. RRP $39.95.
High-res images of the full range of tech21 cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note8 can be found here.
*Survey of 1,008 Australian respondents conducted by Pure Profile.
Notes to editors
Jack Dennis, tech21/Poem
Phone: +61 431 589 582
Tim Hayes, tech21/Poem
Phone: +61 448 297 976
Since 2005, tech21 has been developing the most advanced, scientifically proven cases and screen shields for mobile, tablet and laptop devices worldwide. tech21 combines science, engineering and British design to create products that address three core consumer benefits: style, protection and performance. As the brand evolves to continue meeting the needs of its consumers, tech21 has developed the most advanced impact protection material on the market – FlexShock™. The ultra-thin and lightweight material absorbs and dissipates force and can withstand drops up to three metres. In addition, tech21 puts all its products through a rigorous testing program, and in an industry first has partnered with the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) to develop its testing methodology. This ensures that the tests tech21 products have to pass are overseen by independent experts. Tech21 is the number one case brand in the UK. For more information, visit tech21.com.
* As the national measurement standards laboratory for the UK – and globally recognised as the leader in its field – the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is at the forefront of testing methodology. Working in partnership with NPL, tech21 has built cutting edge equipment, a unique testing methodology and formed a team of highly skilled scientists – to deliver a more advanced testing proposition in a new R&D facility.
Hunting for Hackers - Why Preventive Measures are Only Part of the Cyber Solution, Duncan Alderson, Senior Manager, Cyber & Forensics, PwC Australia | IDG Security Day
Interview with David Sykes, Business Leader, Sophos | IDG Security Day
Showreel | IDG Security Day conference, 21st June
Tools of the Trade: A Live Hacking Demonstration - Ty Miller, Director, Threat Intelligence | IDG Security Day
Publisher's Panel - Using AI for next-generation Cyber Security | IDG Security Day