J2EE Application Servers Will Remain Core Investments, Says META Group
- 23 March, 2004 17:26
<p>New J2EE Application Servers Report Released Today</p>
<p>SYDNEY, Australia. (March 10, 2004) — META Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: METG), today announced the availability of its newest METAspectrumSM In Depth report, covering the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application server market. This market consists of Java-based application servers or “containers” that manage components and services in a multi-tier application.</p>
<p>“In terms of IT spending, J2EE application servers will remain core investments. Defining corporate application server development and deployment standards will help organizations better manage enterprisewide application delivery to increase corporate agility and lower overall application life-cycle costs by enabling server consolidation,” said Daniel Sholler, vice president and director with META Group’s Technology Research Services and lead author of the report. “Leading organizations are increasing developer productivity, decreasing time to market, and reducing application and technology sprawl by mandating application server standards and constraining platform proliferation.”</p>
<p>Although many corporations have selected Java as a strategic platform for enterprise development, adoption continues to be hampered by J2EE complexity. Competition between Java and Microsoft’s .Net platform will remain intense through 2006, and META Group expects .Net to continue gaining market share and acceptance as a competing enterprise platform.
“During the next two years, open source application servers will gain share in the J2EE market, forcing further vendor consolidation. By 2006, Linux will become the preferred platform for J2EE execution,” said Michael Barnes, vice president with META Group’s Technology Research Services and lead author of the report. “The J2EE application server software stack has solidified, with products becoming much more similar and migration of code between platforms becoming steadily easier.”</p>
<p>Key Findings and Guidance
The J2EE Application Servers report evaluated 10 vendors. This market is simultaneously growing and consolidating, with growth increasingly concentrated around three main players and a relatively stable number of additional niche players. As J2EE application servers mature, competition has become increasingly centered on vendors’ ability to deliver a broader platform to expand their footprints within strategic accounts — especially in Web services, application development, enterprise application integration, business process automation, portals, and content management:
* IBM and BEA are currently best positioned for ongoing leadership. IBM is particularly strong in terms of global presence, strategic vision, platform breadth, and delivery capabilities. BEA has strength in technology leadership and a strong delivery channel.
* Oracle is best positioned as a challenger to both IBM and BEA at the enterprise level. It has gained significant ground on the two leaders during the past 18 months, and META Group expects the gap to close further during the next six to nine months.
* Followers in this market should be viewed as niche players. All vendors in this category will remain viable options for well-defined projects or scenarios where these vendors’ specific value proposition or expertise is relevant. The common theme among all followers is a lack of presence and, in most cases, viability concerns.</p>
<p>About the Report
Providing comprehensive, side-by-side vendor comparisons and research, META Group’s J2EE Application Servers METAspectrum In Depth report helps users evaluate the overall performance of IT vendors and their competitive market position, as well as compare and contrast the strengths and limitations of each vendor’s product offerings. The evaluation is based on META Group’s METAspectrum methodology, which provides a framework for evaluating or selecting an appropriate IT vendor or product, simplifies the decision process, and enables more effective technology investments. To learn more about META Group’s METAspectrum In Depth reports or the METAspectrum methodology, visit metagroup.com/metaspectrum or call (800) 945-META .</p>
<p>About META Group
META Group is a leading provider of information technology research, advisory services, and strategic consulting. Delivering objective and actionable guidance, META Group’s experienced analysts and consultants are trusted advisors to IT and business executives around the world. Our unique collaborative models and dedicated customer service help clients be more efficient, effective, and timely in their use of IT to achieve their business goals. Visit metagroup.com for more details on our high-value approach.</p>
- Chrome 70 arrives with fingerprint login for websites, extension controls, and 23 security fixes
- Stop pretending you can keep hackers out of your networks: Krebs
- FiveEyes are giving themselves a backdoor into your systems
- ACORN users disappointed with outcomes, buried government review found
- TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will be disabled in Edge, IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari in 2020