- Seven technology predictions for 2014
- Hacker-built drone can hunt, hijack other drones
- The week in security: Microsoft fights NSA as shadow IT bites business
- French Treasury accidentally signs SSL certificate for Google.com domains
- Information Commissioner received no eHealth privacy complaints in 2012-13
sophos in pictures
The K-12 private education Paideia School in Atlanta now hands out about 550 Apple iPads each year to students for classroom teaching and homework purposes. And while students love them, some parents are now pressing the IT department to restrict use of apps on the devices because they think there's too much game-playing.
The Cryptolocker Trojan is an evolution of "ransomware," not a revolutionary change from past criminal attempts to extort money from PC owners, a security expert said today.
The creators of CryptoLocker, a piece of malware that encrypts user data and holds it for ransom, are giving users who removed the malicious program from their computers a second chance to recover their files, but at a much higher cost.
Sophos today leapt forward with a cloud strategy under which it will deliver integrated management and policy enforcement for its endpoint security software and unified threat management (UTM) firewall through a cloud-based console for both its enterprise customers and industry partners.
The security of Windows 8 picture passwords might not be as weak as some recent headlines indicate, and there are ways to maximize how hard they are to crack, researchers say.
Email is at the center of the scandal that brought down CIA Director David Petraeus, one of the country's most decorated generals.
Videos about sophos
Sign up now »
Advanced protection for physical, virtual and cloud servers
Incident handling is a vast topic, but here are a few tips for you to consider in your incident response. I hope you never have to use them, but the odds are at some point you will and I hope being ready saves you pain (or your job!).
- Have an incident response plan.
- Pre-define your incident response team
- Define your approach: watch and learn or contain and recover.
- Pre-distribute call cards.
- Forensic and incident response data capture.
- Get your users on-side.
- Know how to report crimes and engage law enforcement.
- Practice makes perfect.
I’m dating myself, but I remember when holiday shopping involved pouring through ads in the Sunday paper, placing actual phone calls from tethered land lines to research product stock and availability, and actually driving places to pick things up. Now, holiday shoppers can do all of that from a smartphone or tablet in a few seconds, but there are some security pitfalls to be aware of.