Barclays Bank has launched an investigation after confirming a report that sensitive files on thousands of customers was stolen and sold as leads.
Financial institutions must get more proactive about collecting data on customers' digital behaviour to fight financial losses through criminals' growing use of cross-channel fraud, ThreatMetrix has warned.
Australians will continue to be ripped off by international crime syndicates unless banks fast track the rollout of ATM chip technology, according to Queensland Police Detective Superintendent Brian Hay.
Information security vendors are telling customers to think in a new way. At the core of their advice is the idea — the admission, if you like — that no matter how good the defences they sell, sooner or later the bad guys will get through.
Westpac Banking Corporation has warned customers about a new hoax email and website doing the rounds.
- Amazon, Apple and Google know more about you than your doctor or lawyer - and Commbank is jealous as hell. - Don’t trust an organisation that doesn’t have a face - because then you can’t punch it in when they screw up, said Marcus Ranum. - 78 percent of the world’s population doesn’t have access to a computer or the internet and therefore avoid all IT security problems.
Some of the world’s largest corporations have recently fallen victim to hacking attacks and identify data theft, while other online businesses have been compromised and sidelined for days or weeks, losing millions of dollars in revenue and suffering significant reputational damage. It’s never been more important for companies to act in order to avoid becoming the next victim of identity data theft.
Sign up now »
Incident handling is a vast topic, but here are a few tips for you to consider in your incident response. I hope you never have to use them, but the odds are at some point you will and I hope being ready saves you pain (or your job!).
- Have an incident response plan.
- Pre-define your incident response team
- Define your approach: watch and learn or contain and recover.
- Pre-distribute call cards.
- Forensic and incident response data capture.
- Get your users on-side.
- Know how to report crimes and engage law enforcement.
- Practice makes perfect.
I’m dating myself, but I remember when holiday shopping involved pouring through ads in the Sunday paper, placing actual phone calls from tethered land lines to research product stock and availability, and actually driving places to pick things up. Now, holiday shoppers can do all of that from a smartphone or tablet in a few seconds, but there are some security pitfalls to be aware of.