“AVG sees mobile as a strategic focus area and since the launch of our first mobile security product in 2010, we have seen immense growth in this area,” said JR Smith, CEO of AVG Technologies. “We were the first to provide a free security app for Android devices and today we are very excited to announce a new sleeker and easier to use interface on our very popular Android AntiVirus product. Also today we are launching AVG Safe Browser for iOS, delivering against our multiplatform strategy. This new browser brings AVG’s LinkScanner® and AVG Do Not Track technology to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.”
Updated AntiVirus for Android
The main eye catcher in AVG AntiVirus for Android version 3.0.2 is the new user interface. Based on extensive user feedback, the new design brings a fresh look and feel and easier to use app.
• New design: sleeker & easier-to-use interface
• Faster and more efficient access to features, tools and sub-categories
• New dashboard
• New categories & menus
Also new in this version is the ‘widget’ feature which allows users to monitor and interact with the features and indicators without the need to open the app itself. Users can customise the widget to provide quick access to the features and information they prefer on the home screen.
These changes are in addition to the features that made AVG AntiVirus for Android such a popular app:
• Protection – the App and File Scanner protect the mobile device against threats, the Settings Scanner helps to optimise security, SMS Filtering to keep messaging free of scams and Safe Web Surfing protects against suspicious sites before a user lands on them.
• Performance – Tune Up and Task Killer optimise performance.
• Anti-theft – Find and protect a phone if lost or stolen by locating, locking, displaying an onscreen message and wiping it.
• Privacy – App Locker protects your apps from prying eyes by enabling you to lock and secure them individually from being accessed by other people using your phone.
Introducing AVG Safe Browser for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
AVG Safe Browser for iOS is a new browser for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users who are concerned about privacy and identity threats online. It protects users from online scams and attacks which can occur on any platform with access to the web. Sites that are known to be malicious or contain scams or malware will be blocked using data provided by AVG’s LinkScanner technology. This comes on top of the built-in mobile security provided by the operating system.
AVG Safe Browser for iOS also features AVG Do Not Track technology to inform the user which sites are tracking them online and allowing the user to block the ad tracking. AVG believes that making users aware of online privacy is a logical extension to its leading security products. While tracking is not inherently bad, it can be used to collect and share data with third-party companies, a practice that consumers are growing increasingly concerned about and more aware of. The new AVG Do Not Track feature will be on by default and will enable users to actively block some advertising networks from sharing data.
Keep in touch with AVG Technologies AU
• For breaking news, follow AVG Technologies AU on Twitter at twitter.com/avgaunz • Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/avgaunz • For security trends, analysis, follow the AVG Technologies AU blog at resources.avg.com.au
AVG (has a comprehensive range of security tips on its web site at http://www.avg.com.au/resources/security-tips/. For video tips from AVG, see http://www.youtube.com/user/avgaunz.
### ENDS ###
About AVG — www.avg.com.au
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimise and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to-use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 143 million active users as of September 30, 2012 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimisation, online backup, mobile security and identity protection software.
Android™ is a trademark of Google, Inc. iPhone®, iPad®, iPod®, and Apple® are trademarks of Apple, Inc. registered in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
AVG Media Contacts:
Michael McKinnon AVG 03 9581 0845 email@example.com
Shuna Boyd BoydPR 02 9418 8100 firstname.lastname@example.org